Thursday, September 4, 2008

SUPERSTITION OR FAITH

AN EXPOSITION
Adriel Dominic Fernandez
III Bohr
Superstition is defined by the dictionary as the irrational belief in a particular thing, event, etc, such as the belief that black cats bring bad luck. But superstition seems merely to be an observation or a conclusion of what happens after having a common experience. I do not really believe in negative superstition, so I wear the number thirteen on my batch shirt. But that is just my opinion, and I am not writing an editorial. There are a lot of different kinds of superstitions in different areas. There are those about luck, behavior, marriage or love, children, and much more besides.

Then there is also faith. What is faith? It seems definable in many ways, which I shall not indulge in. Said to be confidence, trust, or loyalty, it most often the religious kind of faith. Like superstitions, there are also many kinds of faiths - some of which divide into even more groups! Faith is far more solid and far stronger than superstition, or so many people believe. Nowadays, people prefer potent faith over irrational superstition.

Will it be superstition or faith? Such a thought-provoking question! Sure we can merge these seemingly opposite beliefs. But if we were to choose only one, which would it be? I am afraid I do not hold the key to answering this query. I like better if someone else were to debate on this endlessly tiresome dilemma. Also, I could go on, but someone who is superstitious might get the wrong idea and challenge a person’s faith, or vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bookmark and Share