Monday, September 15, 2008

THE NECKLACE by GUY DE MAUPASSANT

Beverly Q. Brandes
III BOHR
Any one who had read a short story like this one, “The Necklace” (by Guy de Maupassant), must have found his heart deeply moved. The story certainly progressed magnificently that no one could declare two thumbs down to it, even one.

I am very sure that some might say that the author could have just been so cruel to the husband and to the wife. You see, after having been so elegant and gorgeous for just one evening together with the richest in town, Madame Mathilde Loisel lost her borrowed diamond necklace (I do not know yet that it is made of paste until I have read the ending). Consequently, the decision of the author to make Mathilde replace the necklace is truly remarkable. I mean we can read short stories with almost the same sequence of events but “The Necklace” proves to be unique. Instead of telling Madame Forestier that Mathilde lost the treasure, she replaced it with a “true” jewel. I think it is nice to present a story which reveals the values we are to act in life. Showing the readers to do an “ultimate deed” (that is working endlessly for ten years just to pay the debts used to buy the necklace) is awesome. I believe there are some misconceptions or other negative reactions about the story, but I’m sure than those.

One thing I would like to comment is what could have happened if Mathilde was contented with her dress; if she did not desire for more ornaments like what she did when she borrowed a jewel, a diamond necklace? She could have just wanted to gain enough confidence to mingle with the well-to-do. But her inner character was revealed after taking the risks to be a debtor of usurers and all the race of lenders.

I’m sure it is very hard to accept the fact that you almost risked your life to replace the necklace just made of paste. As a whole, there are three lessons the story inculcated in my mind; to be contented with what I have, to be hardworking and last but definitely not the least to PAY MY DEBT

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bookmark and Share