Monday, November 10, 2008

TOURISTS

AN UNEDITED ARTICLE
JED ADRIEL BERENGUER
III BOHR
“If only I could take it back…” said I.

I was standing in the threshold of the enormous NAIA 3 airport. With my bags on my shoulder, suitcase I was pulling, I was having full of regrets of what had happened.

“If only you could take what back?” asked Joe. Joe was with me along with other friends of ours who seems late again for our flight.“If only I could take back my ICE CREAM!” I shouted. Apparently, houseflies either like ice cream to not make me eat it or they really don’t to push it away.

“Ice Cream?”

“Yeah,” I snorted. “Stupid houseflies were bugging me then ‘Bam!’ my ice cream splats on the floor.”

“That’s just ice cream, Chandler. What you’re about to experience is a lot like paradise!” Joe explained.

I didn’t reply, I still am bummed about that delicious ice cream, so I plugged the earphones of my MP3 and listened to my favorite song: The Long and Winding Road.

Finally after a few minutes, the others came. Joe was about to finish his 3rd burger, not knowing of motion sickness.

“It’s about time you guys came.” complained Joe.

“Well, somebody here has a hard time saying goodbye to her dog, La Pooh.” said Monica, circling her eyes on Rachel, the dog lover.

“My goodness Rach, it’s just a dog!” I shouted. But still not losing my temper.

“’My goodness Rach, it’s just a dog!’ What about your ice cream, Chandler?”
Joe copied my remark and teased me.

“Whatever, you’re lucky you didn’t have a 4th burger”

“So, where’s your dog?” Joe asked, ignoring my statement.

“Oh, outside with my mother” replied Rachel.

“You brought your dog with you?”“Just to say goodbye…”

“Oooh!”

And so after that pointless conversation; Rachel, Ross, Monica, Joey, Phoebe and I showed our boarding passes to the lady and went inside the plane and sat inside in our respective seats. I’m guessing that Joe now regrets eating three burgers, the size of Big Mac, as I saw his uneasy expression in his face. I saw dolphins diving in and out of the ocean and maybe because of vertigo, I think I saw an angel flew by the window beside me. But I guess it was just motion sickness.

I slept throughout the flight.

We arrived at Los Angeles Airport or LAX by evening. Joe rushed out the plane to go to the bathroom, I guess not only motion sickness played with him, nature’s calling him also. It began to rain as we went out the airport; we haven’t any umbrella so we rushed to the Taxi stand. We were divided into two and we both directed the driver to a certain hotel, I won’t tell what. Just for no reason.

I guess I had a little case of being homesick, I don’t know, I loved the food around here. And it’s not my first time to go here; it’s my first time to go here on vacation. It always meant work, work, and work. I remember the fishball vendor at home when I saw Joe again, eventually he has stopped going to the CR. Joe again had this case when he ate a lot of fishballs and again, LBM.Phoebe, now, pulled her sneakers off after touring the hotel. It reeked, I smelled it, it was so bad but who cares I opened the windows anyways. Ross decided to play his guitar, while we’re at vacation; swimming, tanning and drinking smoothies in Sta. Monica Beach, he’ll be playing in a concert to be held on Hollywood. It was his choice, his only gig, so he grabbed the opportunity.

The next day after breakfast was served; I went to the city to see if I could still remember the place. And I still do, I went to Starbucks for a while and then I saw the guys excluding Ross buying donuts at Krispy Kreme. I left the coffee shop and went to them. It seems our plans of vacation will be advanced, early that morning, we went to the beach.

Monica’s the one who really knows the place, for her friend, Janice, owns a store by the shore. We swam, played beach volleyball, drank shakes, laid down and did Frisbee on the beach.

We were all tired that afternoon, so we rested. When we woke about an hour later, we were on a boat. We were all surprised; Janice was awake and told us to calm down. She’s with a guy she introduced to us as Richard. I don’t like Richard from the start. We had no choice but to stay on the boat or sharks will have had early dinner that night.

Finally we went to a deserted island. It seemed deserted, no tourists, no stores, no anything. We went down the boat and Richard advanced to the forest. Janice told us she was also preoccupied when she was brought onto the boat. It’s a good thing there was volleyball on the boat. So we played a little while to get our minds off that peculiar event.

A few minutes later, we rested. We heard strange noises and footsteps from the forest. Maybe it was just Richard hunting an animal for food. We ignored the noise and waited for Richard to come back. It was twilight already and I was getting hungry and sleepy. Others were grumbling already, they went back to the boat but as soon as they stepped on the boat, they heard a shout. I heard it louder, it was Rachel. There was a black figure pulling her towards the forest.

I rushed to grab Rachel’s leg but I was late. I dove for nothing; she was gone in a blink of an eye. The others by the boat ran through the shore and went near the forest. We were all shocked by what had happened. We were staring blankly at space at what had just happened. We couldn’t think. We couldn’t act.

And then suddenly all of us were grabbed by the hands and our heads were covered with duffel bags, we couldn’t resist, the people who held us captive were strong. They pulled us towards the jungle like what they did on Rachel. And that was the last of what I can remember. We were done as TOURISTS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Bookmark and Share